Luck of the (non) Irish

 17 March 2010

Here's a fun story I think is fitting for today, being St. Patty's day and all. It's one of those little 'non-events' that I will remember all my life, and one that I need to sit down and scrapbook in the near future!

The story of this four leaf clover is cool. I had flown to Vancouver for my brother's wedding, 34 weeks pregnant and about to pop.It was late July, and I was huge & uncomfortable. One afternoon after the wedding had taken place, my entire family drove out to see the lot that my brother was going to build his house on. The field was full of clover, and my grandmother ( a very superstitious lady) had spent the better part of an hour searching for that rare 4 leafed one in the field. I casually ( or not so casually, given my enormous preggo belly)  bent over to pick one, and I was elated when I looked at it - it had 4 leaves. I immediately showed my Grandmother, who very nearly passed out from excitement. I thought since she had been looking so hard for that elusive clover that I should give it to her, but when I tried, she refused, telling me that I should never give away my luck. She said it was a sign that I would have a healthy and happy baby, and that I was blessed. Little more than a month later, I gave birth to my healthy & beautiful son. He was such a good baby, ( sleeping all night at an early age and barely ever cried) and she always said it was because of the clover.
 
I took that clover home with me all the way from B.C. and framed it, and it's been in my home for 10 years now. I'm not even 5% Irish, but I love this little piece of good luck. And the only person I'll ever give it away to will be my my son, who I'll always associate with it!

13 comments:

Candice March 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Oooh. What a treasure. Love the story!

alexandra s.m. March 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

What a great story! I'm so happy you still have it!

Anonymous,  March 18, 2010 at 6:12 AM  

love this story!!

Graziella March 18, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

you and your family are definitely the fortunate ones.

... you mean the airline actually let you fly at 34 weeks?!?!?

;)

KathyT March 18, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

Maybe that makes you Irish by default?? Great story! Sounds like a page to me . . . . just sayin' :)

famille1999 March 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

What a great story! You have to scrap it. :)

JJ Sobey March 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

What a great story - seriously - you haven't scrapped this yet?!??!

Jody March 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

Some titles to think about...
"Clover Boy" or
"His Name Shoulda Been Paddy"
Great story, Mel!

nicole s March 19, 2010 at 1:59 AM  

Oh my - what a great story!! Um..yeah...a page is definitely required.

susy March 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

Fantastic, a great St Paddy's day story to share to be sure :-)

juliescrapbook March 21, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

Wonderful story!! You've got the photo, you've got a perfectly good written story. Make the page today!! It's touching, personal and so important to record!

Barb March 22, 2010 at 6:12 AM  

What a wonderful story, Mel! I love how you've framed it.

angelnathalie March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

I love that story, what a wonderful story to tell your kids and grandkids.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!