Good Things

 23 November 2009

Today’s word on the WCS blog is GOOD. I decided to put my version on my poor neglected blog, because after seeing Stacy’s post last night, I thought it was lovely, and should really stand on its own.

Here are 5 good things that I’m loving right now because of their simplicity and do-abilty ( is that a word?) as the hectic month of December draws near. Because who needs complicated in December, right?


1. My Daily December Album







I’m sure all of you reading this have heard of the Daily December album concept, made popular by Shimelle Laine and Ali Edwards. I made my first one last year, and although I enjoyed it, I think I tried to be a little too eclectic for my own good. This year, I’ve opted for something much more in keeping with my style. I covered an American Crafts Modern Album (8x8) with some October Afternoon word paper, and just added a simple title and a Bling Christmas tree from Basic Grey as my embellishment. I’m not a bling-y type person as a rule, but for Christmas, I do enjoy a bit of sparkle.  My inside pages aren’t done yet, but my plan is to make very simple pages with the photos and words as my main focus, with minimal embellishments. I know I said I’d share some of my album from last year, but I haven’t gotten around to taking photos yet. If any of you are interested in seeing it, let me know, and I’ll get my butt in gear to post them.



2. LEGO Advent Calendar



 I have two VERY Lego crazed boys, especially my youngest. He lives and breathes it. When I found this Advent calendar last week, I hesitated before plunking down the cash for it since I found it a bit commercial, and dare I say it, not really in keeping with the spiritual/religious aspect of Advent. But when I saw how HAPPY it made my kids, I decided to just go for it, and I’m glad I did. They’re so excited about it, and I think it’s going to be something really fun for them to look forward to everyday as we count down to Christmas. And you can’t deny the total cute-ness factor.



3. Homemade bread


My pal Linda has been singing the praises of no-knead bread and posting yummy looking photos (like this one above) of her various no knead loaves on Twitter this past week, so I’ve decided to give it a try. She swears it takes only 30 minutes and that the results are as good as a French boulangerie’s. Here’s the recipe she recommends. Bread is one of my favourite things in the world, so what’s another ten pounds just before Christmas?


4.Handmade Christmas cards



I made 30 of these cards ( sold in sets of 5, with envelopes) for my son’s Cub Scout troop to sell at his School Fair last weekend, along with another 20 of various designs. I’m happy to say that they all sold, and the Scout troop made over 100$. I wish I had started earlier and made more. I was lucky to have the help of a friend who came over one evening to stamp and cut while I embossed and assembled. They turned out lovely, and I now want to make a variation of it for my own Christmas cards. I’m realistic that this isn’t quite so do-able due to time restraints, so please don’t quote me on this one. ;)


5. Internet Christmas Shopping

It suits my hermit lifestyle, and I love that I can shop in my pyjamas with coffee in hand. Or a glass of wine, if it happens to be past 10 pm.  I love ‘live’ Christmas shopping, but the internet is fantastic for getting the job done on my own time- can’t beat that!



Have a great Monday. Hoping I can make it back here this week! :)



xo

14 comments:

Graziella November 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

I basically love everything you do, Mel. You’re a great inspiration. My mind has gone whacko since the beginning of November. I love your ideas and creations.
1. your daily December album …
I guess your thoughts travelled to my home this weekend. I was making Allie’s annual Christmas wish list (album). Of course, yours looks a whole lot nicer! I just LOVE your album!!!
2. advent calendar …
I am attempting one this year … fingers crossed.
3. homemade bread …
That bread does look yummy! It’s always great to bake during the holidays. It make the entire house smell soooooooo good.
4. handmade Christmas cards …
Your card design is superb!!! To top it off, it was for a good cause. YAY! I am still attempting to meet my deadline with my cards … still have a few more weeks.
5. internet shopping …
That’s one thing I don’t do but it does sound like fun. I do like (as you call it) “live” Christmas shopping as long as I know what I’m shopping for.

Bottom line to all this … GOOD GOOD GOOD!!!

-Grace

famille1999 November 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

Great list Mel! I love your simpler take on the Dec daily album. :) Hopefully we'll be able to see the completed look later on. LOL Cute advent calendar! Someone else was talking about this one the other day. I hadn't seen it yet. But it's probably because I don't have Lego fans at home. ;) I love your card. Simple & great design as usual. I hope that you manage to do more before Christmas. Take care!

rocklady November 23, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

yes please, get your butt in gear, i want to see some of last year's pages since i don't know what this album is all about because as you know i don't follow what ali, et al have to say!
love, love, love your card but you already know that since i saw in irl. :)

Linda Barber,  November 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

Love love love that Daily Christmas cover! And those cards are seriously beauts! Maybe you'll send me one... ;)

Ruth November 23, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

The December daily...mmm I got as close as a cover last year and don't see me getting any further this year...even though i thought about it a few weeks ago,I love the idea though :)
My boys would love that Lego advent calendar,hadn't seen that.
Love your Christmas card design,so classic and simple.

Diane November 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

Im onto that lego ASAP...yep via the net too :)

sharon November 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

love your Dec Daily, and yep, I want to see more!

And living in a rural area I LOVE internet shopping, and have been known to come home from a shopping trip totally frustrated about not being able to find what I want, go online and get what I want within minutes!

Paige Taylor Evans November 23, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

Cute altered album and I love those cards! I totally agree about internet shopping! - so much easier, although I do love the crazy atmosphere on Black Friday...:)

Jody November 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

Of course those cards sold out...they are original Melanie Louette Designs! Those people KNOW! :D
Just beautiful!

Ann Costen November 25, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

I might take your lead on the simpler daily album...I tried last year and never finished it :( Thanks for sharing the Lego Advent calendar (must get for my boy) and the no-knead bread (must try)!

Barb November 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

I love your list, Mel. The handmade card is gorgeous... I might try to lift it, if I ever get around to making cards this year. :)

And that Lego set... shhhhh, don't tell my boys you bought it for yours. James was begging me for it, but I just KNOW it would have gotten mixed up with all their other Lego sets (that's what they do, even with their favourite Star Wars sets), so I couldn't justify paying that much for it. Maybe I'll buy it and set it aside for next year. ;)

Heather M. November 27, 2009 at 1:00 AM  

Can I take 30 of those cards for myself, please?! They are gorgeous!

Love the album too!

And I love online shopping too!

molly November 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

Melanie: Your album cover looks perfect! Just lovely. I'm taking very much the same approach -- keeping it simple. I'm not making template pages in advance. Don't want to burn myself out before Dec. rolls around. I just have a stack of stuff set aside to draw from that I'll do a quick layout with each day. It's what I did last year and worked just fine for me.

alexandra s.m. November 30, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

I can't wait to see more of your D.D from this year AND past year! Your cards are beautiful! I hear you about shopping online in my P.Js!! ( thanks for the giggle! )

xox

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!