signs.

 10 August 2009



Sometime last Friday, the diamond in my engagement ring fell out. Needless to say, when I realized it later that evening, I was devastated. I panicked, and called Bob (who was out with friends) sobbing like an idiot. I can't begin to tell you how AWFUL it felt to lose something that has so much meaning to me, even if it's just a little chunk of rock. Yes, I know it's replaceable. In the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal, but it hurt all the same. I've combed the house, and so far haven't found it- I kinda have doubts that I ever will. I was all over the place that day, doing errands, cleaning the basement, at my Dad's, on a bike ride through the woods with my kids.. you get the picture. It could have fallen out at any of these places, and I honestly don't remember the last time I actually noticed it was still intact.



Anyway, the point of my little story is this.. That same day, I was in the basement cleaning, and came upon the photo in the layout above. It had somehow fallen out of the plastic box, and God knows how long it had been on the floor, face down and kinda stuck. It's the only copy I have of this photo, and the first thing that came into my mind when I looked at it was that I needed to scrap it ASAP, even in it's sorry state. And then, reminiscing and daydreaming while sitting there, I had the thought that I wasn't yet engaged when it was taken. Weird.


That thought right there, I'm pretty sure, should have been a sign for me to look at my ring at that exact moment. And I didn't.


Next time around, I'm going to try and be aware of those little signs we often ignore, no matter how subtle they are...

eta: If you looked at this post a few hours ago, ( and shame on you for not leaving me a comment! ;p) you probably noticed that I changed my layout a tad- I added that red bracket border, b/c I felt there was something missing. I'm much happier with it now. :)

23 comments:

moon August 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

oh mel, i'm so sorry about your ring. i hope that you're able to find it...
i love this layout. bob looks so much like noah in the photo.
:)
((hugs))
-moon

JJ Sobey August 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

{{hugs}} I'd be heartbroken too. :(

Shannon Davey August 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

I totally understand, it is the diamond that was picked out and given to you and was at the wedding (I know I am sentmental about weird things). I too would be devestated, and am often concerned about that very thing, weird I know. I am hoping very much that you will be lucky and it will show up.
I worry as my inlaws have a bad run of luck with these things, my mother in law lost her diamond in Papua New Guinea while on mission work there and father in law lost his wedding ring at home, after searching everywhere and replacing it it did turn up a few years later! I am hoping you will have the same good fortune.

sharon August 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

so sad about the diamond - but good thing you still have the ring so once you get it reset it will (sort of!) feel the same!

LOVE this page - epspecially the way you have done the title! I could look at it for ages!

rocklady August 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

i know exactly how you feel mel, because the exact same thing happened to me one day way back when! i searched high and low, even going through the ashes in the fireplace to no avail. just remember mel, like you yourself said, it's only a piece of rock and it cannot change anything. and maybe you will be as lucky as me and have that one diamond replaced by several on your 25th anniversary because i never did replace that one diamond and i never wore my engagement ring again.
i love your lo and you guys look great!

Diane August 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

Funny you should post this page and photo...my Mum just found a photo of my hubby and I just after we got engaged standing on our first block of land 20 years ago! I will have to scrap it asap too.

Barb August 10, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

Love that photo of you and Bob... and your LO is fabulous (as always). Sorry about the ring... I know time has passed and the chances are slim, but I'm still holding out hope it'll turn up.

Linda Barber,  August 10, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

So bummed about your ring! I had totally forgotten you told me this. Sorry! The great thing is that you have the memories, which really is the most important part, right? Maybe Bob can replace it with a bigger rock? ;)

The layout is awesome. More for my "copy Mel" file. And thanks for that adorable layout about me. Hee hee. You are the best. And I mean it.

juliescrapbook August 10, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

When you least expected, it will come back to you. I can feel it. DH looks like DS!

Jody August 11, 2009 at 12:24 AM  

Oh nooooooooooo!
I am so sad for you, Mel and hope that your diamond is found A.S.A.P.
Love how you scolded your readers. lol
It wasn't me...I just got home from work :P
Love the page!

Heather M. August 11, 2009 at 1:09 AM  

I was so sad when you posted about your ring. :( I'd be heartbroken too.

Love the layout though. The pop of red is awesome and I love the opposite rounded corners.

nicole s August 11, 2009 at 4:23 AM  

I understand - my ring is the only material possession that I care about! Your layout is GREAT and I love that CUTE piccy of you two. Really should find the time to scrap more old photos of us....

missusem August 11, 2009 at 5:53 AM  

Cute layout but sorry about your ring..!

Ash August 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

Sorry to read about your diamond :( I don't have an engagement ring yet but would feel the same way if I lost it. Well maybe the universe is telling you, in a weird, creative way, to renew your vows with a new diamond, lol.
I love your layout. At least you have the beautiful memories and your husband! Those are the important things.

Agata August 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

I'm sorry about your ring! I understand fully what that means to you! I'm often scared to lose this "chunk of rock" myself... If ever you were to hoover your house, you can put a piece of fine cloth at the end of the "tuyau" (I'm not sure of the English word, is it pipe?;p) This way it won't swallow it. Bon courage! And your LO is just great! Love the subtle colors!

Paige Taylor Evans August 11, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

Shoot. That is so stinky about losing your diamond. I would feel the same way if that happened to me. If it's any consolation, your layout is really cute!

Graziella August 11, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

love your layout, mel

i feel for you. you never know ... bob might come up to you (like tony did to me) and say ... "were you looking for this? remember ... 3 years later.

is the ring still stuck on your finger or were you able to take it off eventually?

- Grace

Josée August 11, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

Oh Mel je suis désolé pour ton diamant,c'est une valeur sentimentale inestimae ble.J'espère sincèrement que tu vas le retrouver...on ne sait jamais!
Ta page est superbe et maintenant je sais à qui ton fils ressemble.Tu ne pourras pas lui faire acroire qu'il est adopté!!!

Claude August 12, 2009 at 7:21 AM  

I'm sorry you didn't find your diamond. :(
Gorgeous layout. I didn't see it before you added the red bracket paper but I want you to know that as soon as I saw the layout I thought: "that piece of red paper is perfect!"

Jo.A August 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Oh, your ring! that breaks my heart for you. I know you said it's a chunk of rock but an engagement ring is so precious in so many ways. My engagement ring was my Nana's so I would be so heartbroken if something happened to it, so I totally get that feeling. I hope you find it soon :)
Great LO, I love scrapping or finding old photos of my hubby and I...too fun. Thanks also for picking my page as your fav in Nicoles sketch challenge, your pages are always so amazing so that was really cool for me to be picked as a fav, Thanks :)

Unknown August 13, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

I'm so sorry about your ring. That absolutely sucks. Maybe when you stop looking for the diamond, you'll just notice it somewhere. I hope so.

Unknown August 13, 2009 at 1:03 AM  

P.S. Love the layout! Your style always makes me happy.

Anonymous,  August 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

Mel, j'avais perdu le pendentif avec diamants que Pierre m'avait donné comme cadeau de mariage à peu près 2 ans après notre mariage. J'étais super déçue et je l'ai tant cherché ! to no avail !

Puis quand on a fait remplacé notre tapis dans notre salle de séjour pour du plancher de bois franc 10 ans plus tard, j'ai retrouvé mon pendentif sous le tapis ! Go figure ! J'étais super contente d'avoir résolu le mystère de la disparition de mon pendentif, mais tu sais, j'ai réalisé en le retrouvant, qu'il n'était pas si important que cela ! Je pense que c'est beau si je l'ai porté une fois depuis !

Et puis une femme avait volée ma bague de fiancailles quelques mois après que je l'avais eue, à l'hopital quand j'étais allée pour des prises de sang et échantillon d'urine. Trop perfectionniste, j'ai fait la décision d'enlever ma bague dans la salle de toilette pour ne pas la salir en prenant mon échantillon, et puis ... je l'ai oublié sur le comptoir de salle de toilette. La femme qui est entrée après moi a pris ma bague, et n'a jamais voulue me la remettre. Je me suis commandée par la suite une autre bague des mois plus tard, mais finalement, si j'avais attendue un peu plus longtemps, je n'aurais pas fait remplacé ma bague. C'est notre amour, mon époux qui est le plus important. La bague n'est qu'un symbole. Un beau symbole, mais un symbole tout de même.

J'espère tout de même que tu retrouveras ton diamant ! Ne serait-ce pour élucider le mystère de la disparition de ton diamant !

J'adore ta page ! Le papier background est superbe. C'est du AC j'imagine ? Je pense que je ne l'ai jamais vu auparavant.

Profite de la belle température !

Danielle

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!