a new era

 31 August 2009

begins for my 'baby' today. And I'm still in denial about it!

My first born starts his first day of high school this morning ( Grade 7 in Quebec= high school) and I think I'm more nervous about it than he is. We're very lucky that the school he's attending is the next street over from us, so I don't have to worry about him travelling on a city bus alone, or taking the train into the city like some of his friends will be doing. The thought of that makes me shudder, being the hovering type that I am. I know a mom who is a probably a wreck tonight b/c her son will be taking the train downtown everyday, and my sympathies are with her. I'd be a total basket case in her place. I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't really given my kids a lot of 'freedom' to roam on their own up until now. I don't know if I'll ever stop being such a mother hen- does it ever go away? Anyway, if Bobby is anxious about school, he hasn't let on too much... the only thing that I've noticed in the past week or so is that he's hugging me more than usual, and calling me 'Mommy', which he only does when he's feeling insecure, lol. I'm sure he's going to LOVE being a big wig highschooler, but it's still back to being a little fish in a big sea all over again. And my little guy starts Grade 4 today, a slightly bigger fish in his smaller sea, so he's happy. I'll be looking forward to 3:30 today for a full report.


I wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you for your kind words about my ring in my post a few weeks back. I appreciated the sympathy and your comments dearly ! I'd love to be able to report that I found the diamond, but unfortunately, no such luck- I'm still wearing a diamond-less ring on my finger that looks quite ridiculous, but I haven't got the heart to go get the ring cut off just yet. I'm unable to get it off with soap or cream, so it's staying put for a while. I'm still holding out hope that I might find it.



Here's a layout I did this weekend about my eldest. I was so happy to get a photo of him laughing the other day- a rare occurance, b/c for some insane reason, he's decided he hates his smile and never shows his teeth when I take his photo. Crazy pre-teen hang-ups. :( Call me biased, but I think he's absolutely gorgeous.

Are you loving the star and striped papers on this one? I'm a stripe fanatic, and I totally swooned & squealed when I saw this paper, no lie. My friend Ursula can attest to my insanity. ;p It's part of the new American Crafts collection- this particular line is called 'Junior', and it is utterly fantastic. If you've been hankering for a great BOY line, then you'll want every piece of this, believe me. You can't see it here, but the stars are glazed ( as are many of the other papers) and the quality is fabulous. I'm in love. :) You'll probably be seeing this paper on all of my layouts for the next 6 months or so...









have a fantastic Monday everyone. :)

23 comments:

Graziella August 31, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

A beautiful page on Bobby, Mel.

He will love Grade 7, the first day of school, only the grade 7's in the school.

I can feel you are really proud ... of both your sons.

Agata August 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

If this paper collection might help me make layouts like yours, then, well, I'm getting every piece I can put my hands on!!! Love it, every inch of it! Those colors are fantastic and your boy has a really beautiful smile!!!

Anonymous,  August 31, 2009 at 9:12 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous,  August 31, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

Seriously, a la Grey's Anatomy, seriously? What is up with that boy? I am sure it is not cool to him to have the mommies swooning and jealous of the gorgeous kid with the fantastic smile, but as you said on the page "brilliant". I will check with Hannah for the under seven opinion!
Once again, an awsome page! But, will that calm you for a few days, until you see it all together again at work?
By the way that paper is completely you and your boys!

August 31, 2009 9:12 AM

Jody August 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Wow Mel!
Gorgeous page and a gorgeous smile too!
I can see why you love the new line...it is awesome :)

Ruth August 31, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

I'm so with you on the HS thing....I am dying to know how Adam got on today on his first day.Thats my blog topic for tomorrow !!

Is that AC line in the store,it's the one I am dying to get.......Oh I feel a trip to the store is in order !!

Great page :)

famille1999 August 31, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

HS... it's a big step for both of you! It will be my turn before I know it. The girls started 4th and 3rd grade this morning.

And you aren't biased, that kid is a young hunk! LOL I can't understand why they all stop smiling while showing their teeth after a while. Laetitia is the same.

I hope that your kids had a great day! :)

juliescrapbook August 31, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

This post really made me laugh. I'm a total mother hen and understand you 100%. That'll be me next year as my oldest boy is now in grade 6 and my baby boy is now in grade 4.

I love everything about you layout. The title "brillant" is well, brillant!! The photo is awesome. I'm not biases since I haven't seen him IRL but I can say that he is a good looking dude.

marnie August 31, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

uh, mel? can i borrow a hint of your talent for just a day? seriously? you rock my world and make me swoon with green envy. you are sooo good!

i hope you survived day one. my goodness, it comes too fast for us moms. not fair. hoping you had a great day!
m.

lisa dickinson August 31, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

hey, i say mother hens unite! :) and that page is FABULOUS. That star paper has long been my fave and you so rocked it. LOVE.

Linda Beeson September 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM  

You captured a wonderful laugh! I so hear you on trying to get a natural look from kids.

KathyT September 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

Amazing page, I'm with you on the stars and stripes!! Hope the day went well for them both. We're on the other end of the high school spectrum here, my oldest is a GRAD this year, wow, lots of emotions go along with that one I'll tell you!!!

Ann Costen September 1, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

You boy IS absolutely gorgeous and so is your layout! Man, I really really really want that paper now :P

Barb September 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

I love your page... I love the photo. He's one heckuva good looking kid. But yes, I understand the frustration of the no-teeth-showing smile. My youngest has taken to that look these days. *sigh*

As for the AC, I must track some of that scrappy goodness down. :)

Linda,  September 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Hey, how was first day of school? I bet it was all a great success (and hoping you weren't totally stressing out).

That page is so utterly fab, I'm jealous. Yup. So I'm just going to copy it exactly, ok? When I finally get my paws on those papers... ;)

Love you!

nicole s September 2, 2009 at 4:12 AM  

I am loving that hand written Ugust. Or maybe it's a font? I don't know but I think it makes the whole page!

moon September 4, 2009 at 1:30 AM  

cannot wait to get these papers...
i am also a stripe junkie. i just ordered some from KI (shhhh...)
:)
gorgeous layout, mel!

Heather M. September 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

i just love that star paper! awesome layout with an amazing photo!

how was the first day of school?

Diane September 9, 2009 at 11:32 PM  

So get how you are feeling...my biggest finished high school in 14 days...I dont know where the time has gone! Then next year a new phase...university! HELP!!!

Patricia P September 11, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

Very nice, I really love your colorful pages. I love the papers used, the details and above all the photos. Simply wonderful !!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!