long awaited, and dearly appreciated

 27 April 2009

The weekend weather, that is. We were blessed with an absolutely amazing HOT day on Saturday, and man, did it feel great. It's not really normal around here to have 28C weather in April, but who am I to complain? And yeah, I did actually hear people complaining it was too hot, and wanted to smack them. I'll take that type of weather any day over a snowstorm, thank you very much.


We spent our weekend here finally siding the shed that Bob built, almost *ahem* 3 years ago. It's been sitting there pathetically for 3 winters now, wrapped in Tyvec, and when a friend offered last week to come over and help us do it this weekend, I nearly kissed him. I wanted it to be a surprise, but there was no way I could go out and buy all I needed alone (due to having bad math & carpentry skills) so I had to tell dh the plan. They have a wee bit left to do on the front peak for next weekend, but for the most part it is DONE, and the neighbours can finally stop ribbing us about our eyesore 'condo' in the backyard. Ugh. I'll post before and after pics once it's all done.


This is what I did while the guys hammered:




Our yard is big, and there's always so much to do in Spring in terms of cleaning, raking, digging, transplanting, etc. This year I'm going to put individual planters on top of my garden in hopes that it will choke out the ginormous weeds that overtake my veggies every summer. It's yet another huge project, but it will look much nicer and grow better too. I'm good at getting everything planted by May, but tend to get lazy once the hot weather hits. And I can't stand weeding, ( can't bribe the kiddos to do it either) but I do love being able to eat freshly picked organic veggies, so this is the payoff. Lots of hard labour ahead!



I'll leave you with a layout I did for Kelly Purkey's sketch classes on 2 Peas. Yet another beach layout. It's very simple compared to Kelly's and Stephanie's, but I like how it turned out all the same. I realized when I saw the other versions that I do tend to take a literal approach to sketches. ;p


It's another beautiful day here, and I'm off to rake my front flower beds and wash the patio furniture. I'll be spraying my adirondack chairs some funky colours too. Hope that turns out the way I've envisioned!

9 comments:

Linda,  April 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

I so loooove your beach photos. Wish we could go vacationing together. Maybe we need to plan? :)

Barb April 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

LOVE love love your LO, Mel. And you know, for any sketch blog, article or tutorial, there has to be at least one "literal approach" as you put it... for teaching purposes. In this case, your LO demonstrates that you don't need to get all complicated and fancy to come up with an amazing LO from a basic sketch.

Your work ROCKS, Mel. Every single time. :)

AnnCosten,  April 27, 2009 at 1:56 PM  

I never tire of your beach layouts Mel! I'm going to be in Montreal for the May 16 weekend...will you be around?

Heather M. April 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

sounds like a great weekend! we got more snow last night so I'm going to pretend I didn't read the part about it being 28C!!!!!

Love that layout! I'm a totally literal sketch interpreter too. :)

Diane April 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

Like always Mel a perfect layout! Your photos are ALWAYS the focus...no distractions...the way I love it!
Enjoy the warm weather!

Nathalie (famille1999) April 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

Litteral IS good! Love your take on the sketch. Wasn't it a gorgeous weekend that we had!! I hear you on waiting to finish some project... That why this time we bought a brand new shed last summer and I had them install them instead of doing it ourselves... LOL

KathyT April 30, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

Just got all caught up on your blog, when I really should be cleaning up the kitchen!! So inspiring!

candice12 May 1, 2009 at 2:49 AM  

j'aime beaucoup Mel !Ca fait des semaines que je n'ai pas scrappé ( nouveau boulot, 2 heures de trajet par jour et deux enfants en bas âge !) et tu m'inspires ! avec le peu de temps que j'ai, je dois aller à l'essentiel et c'est pour moi de conserver les souvenirs.

Tacha May 6, 2009 at 5:27 AM  

Trsè jolie ta page mille bravo

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!