not quite for post-Christmas diets, but a keeper for next year.

 03 January 2009

Here's the recipe for the torte I made on New Year's day. It was a definite hit with everyone who tasted it, so I'm sharing it with you. It's rich, not too sweet, and super easy to make. The kind of thing you should make if you need a 'wow' factor dessert for a dinner party. Seriously, your guests will think you spent big bucks at the local French patisserie. ;) I'm including my own metric conversions ( I checked them online, so it should be ok I hope!) for my overseas pals who read this blog, and who probably won't be able to decipher the ancient Imperial measurements.

Two Chocolate Almond Torte
Top:
1/4 cup (62.5 ml) whipping cream
4 oz. (114 g) good bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup (125 g) sliced almonds, lightly toasted

Torte:
6 oz.( 120.1 g) white chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup(170.5 g) butter
4 eggs
1 pkg. ( 200 g) marzipan
1 1/2 cups (341 g) finely ground almonds
2 tsp. grated orange rind
1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice


Preheat oven to 350F. (175C)

Grease sides of a 9 inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.

Melt the white chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of hot water. Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree eggs with marzipan until smooth. Add almonds, orange rind, and juice, and white chocolate mixture. ( I let it cool slightly). Pulse until all is blended. Pour into pan. Bake for about 35 minutes. ( Cake will test clean with a toothpick, but will be slightly jiggly, this is perfect!). Cool in pan on a rack and then invert ( use a knife to loosen sides first) onto a serving plate.
In a saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Pour over bittersweet chocolate in a bowl and whisk until melted and smooth. Spread over top of cake. Garnish with toasted almond slices. Refrigerate until serving.


Et voila ...

(not the greatest photo. Food photography+ evening light= ugh!)



What else?

Not much went on today.. we're still on holiday mode, and it's great. :) Here's a few photos of my kiddo & dh skating tonight at the outdoor rink down the street... it was cold, dark and then the camera froze up, so these kinda crappy pics are all I got..

So typically Canadian, eh? :)


He loves to play hockey. He loves to be outdoors, period!

And I had this nice surprise this morning:

I've never had the honour of having a featured layout on 2 Peas, so it was kind of fun to see. :)


Let me know if you have questions about the cake, ok? And if you make it, please let me know how it turned out!






































10 comments:

TracieClaiborne January 3, 2009 at 12:35 AM  

Hi Melanie! It was fun to see you comment on my blog. I'm going to look through your blog and see if I can find a glimpse of your house. So cool that ours are alike! I think we scrap alike too. LOL You are one of my all-time faves but I'm sure you know that.

Great to hear from you and I'm glad I found your blog! Happy New Year!

Anonymous,  January 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

Mmmmmm... the dessert looks heavenly. Thanks for sharing the recipe! *drool*
And congrats again on your LO being the featured LO at 2peas. So well deserved! :)

Jessica January 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

Saw you on 2peas, so cool! congrats!

About Twilight, you are the only person I know who read it, I am obsessed. Love it. Just saw the movie, the book was a hundred times better.
Well I have a surprise for you, I saw on your blog that you wished Stephenie would write more, well on her website, there is a rough draft of a book called Midnight Sun, which is Twilight, written by Edwards point of view. You go to her site, click twilight series, then midnight sun, and you will see it.
Let me know what you think!

I still have the last 2 books to read!

Anonymous,  January 4, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

Wow the dessert looks gorgeous! And THANK YOU for the metric measurements, I have no clue what an ounce is?? I look forward to trying it. What does the marzipan look like? Is it a fridge item? Does it have a dough-like consistency??? That photo of your dog in the green scarf is u-n-b-e-l--i-e-v-a-b-l-e! What the heck type of camera do you have. What ever it is, I am so getting one.
Nicole

Anonymous,  January 4, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Happy New Year my friend :)
Love the layout below and your new blog header is awesome!!! Great photo and design!
The torte looks yummy!
Hugs...and here's hoping we might see each other in '09 :)

juliescrapbook January 4, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Love the header photo. Congrats on being chosen at Two Peas. It is a wonderful LO.

Anonymous,  January 4, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

congrats on the feature, mel!
i love the layout (of course).
i'm not the strongest of bakers but the cake looks yummy!

melissa deakin January 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

that torte looks amazing.
love the new blog banner and i was so thrilled to see your layout as the LOTD...so beyond deserved!
thinking of you and missing you, my friend!
(btw...i am on the last book in the Twilight series. i feel like a junkie...i'll be going through withdrawal when this one is over!)

Heather M. January 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Love the new banner! The cake looks totally delish! And I love those hockey pics - can't wait to see you scrap them!

Candice January 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

ooh-the torte sounds yum! & how fun that your LO was featured... you know everything you do is perfect! :)C

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!