a good ear.

 11 July 2008

Last night I went out to walk the dog alone, since my walking buddy is away at her cottage, and truth be told, it's a bore to walk alone when you're used to company. So instead, I listen to music while I walk, and I could walk forever. ( ok, not forever, but longer than 20 minutes). I'm frantically looking for my Ipod all over the house, and the dog is becoming increasingly agitated because I've been putting off going out for the past 2 hours, all the while telling her that 'yes! we're going for a walk Lily!!!' over and over. I finally grab Bobby's Ipod since mine is nowhere to be found, and I'm a bit annoyed, because I'm not in the mood to listen to Led Zeppelin at 9pm. I head out, turn on the Shuffle, and got a cool surprise.

The boy has an ear for good music.

I know you're all probably thinking I should be monitoring what's on an 11 year old's Ipod, but he changes it every day obsessively, and I can't keep track. So every once and a while, I listen to a few tracks and check him out, just to make sure he's not listening to Eminem ( which I have on my own playlist, and is therefore accessible to him) or some godawful rapper like 50 Cent.(dh's doing, not mine.)

So here's what I heard on my walk:


Blue Hawaii-Elvis Presley

Hallelujia-Rufus Wainwright

Here Comes the Sun-George Harrison

All Apologies-Nirvana

Ring of Fire-Johnny Cash ( I kid you not)
lots of Green Day.


and a bunch of other equally cool tunes, no swearing involved.

No Ben Harper though.. he draws the line there. ;)

I LOVE that he's so into music now. It makes me happy that he's like his Mom in that respect.
He's 11, and we're coming into full tweendom, God help me.


I'd love to hear some music suggestions from everyone... I still have a ton of room left on my Ipod, and I need some ideas of what to buy. My taste is totally varied and I'm open to anything, so feel free to let me know what you like. I haven't bought any new music in a dog's age, and I feel woefully out of the loop.


Leaving you with a card I did last night, using some AC goodness. I looove this paper!!! It's kind of shiny in parts, and you can't see that here well, but I'm happy with the colours in the photo.


















Enjoy your weekend!



14 comments:

Anonymous,  July 11, 2008 at 9:46 AM  

Mel,
How funny is it that your son has the same songs on his Ipod that I do? ;)
LOVE the card!
Jody

Claude July 11, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

Love the card!

You probably don't listen to the type of music I do (Carrie Underwood, LeAnn Rimes), but there are a few specific songs I can recommend:

-Justin Hines, Wish You Well
-Mandy Moore, Gardenia (trust me!)
-Jonatha Brooke, I'll Try

And there's this 15 year old who sings incredibly well, her name is Renee Olstead

Anonymous,  July 11, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

How interesting! Looks like he's diversifing his interests. :) Well, I'm pretty happy that you didn't find anything nasty on his shuffle. :) At home, we're still ok because dh is the one that downloads the music on the girls ipods. So no surprise there! LOL ;)

Yummy looking card! It's just gorgeous. And I've seen the wedding one that you did at SC and that one is utterly gorgeous too. :)

peg manrique July 11, 2008 at 11:38 PM  

how cool is that mel?! he really does have a good ear. love me some green day ;)
and love that card...so cute.

Anonymous,  July 12, 2008 at 7:05 AM  

hahahahaha
"some godawful rapper like 50 Cent"

you crack me up mel!!

Anonymous,  July 12, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

How cool to find such awesome music on your son's iPod!

Some suggestions (and remember, I am the most UNcool kid on the block when it comes to music on my iPod):
- anything from the soundtrack from The Last Kiss
- anything from Feist's Let It Die album

Séverine July 13, 2008 at 5:29 AM  

That's really cool to read this post! Théo is not really into music now but he starts to ask and I think it's really cool ;)
my suggestion is Cat Power... I really in lovewith her voice and her style.

YOur card is simply amazing! I love this paper but I didn't manage to use it yet!

Have a wonderful Sunday
xoxo

HIME July 14, 2008 at 6:38 AM  

Hi I just discoverd your blog (thanks to Severine also). I love your style and I'll be back very soon !

Hime - Scrapissime

HIME July 14, 2008 at 6:39 AM  

One more : The card is WOUAHH

Anonymous,  July 14, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

that card is groovy-good.
no music suggestions here...
i'm a "whatever's on the radio" kinda gal.
:)

Candice July 14, 2008 at 3:01 PM  

What a happy card! Love it as well as your son's playlist!

Hmm. I am not much of a trendy music girl, but I have a few new (to me) faves from my friend Em's blog.

Your Song-Kate Walsh
Mr Blue-Catherine Feeny
1234-Feist
New Sould-Yael Naim
& I'm loving Regina Spektor. Nate always goes around singing "On the Radio" :)

melissa deakin July 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM  

love that you loved his choice in music.
and i am in LOVE with that card.
oh my...i want that paper and those totally groovy letter stickers!
you rock, my friend.
i miss you terribly!

merideth July 16, 2008 at 9:00 AM  

just followed you here from moon ko's blog . . .

love the card! sorry i have no music suggestions. i rarely get to listen to anything other than toddler music (i even find myself humming it in the grocery store).

Anonymous,  September 5, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

i hope you read old posts, mel because i want to mention a few artists to you...

Bloc Party
The National
Jem
Hot Chip
Air
Kings of Leon
Goldfrapp
Portishead
Interpol
Metric
Cold war kids
Peter Bjorn
Silversun pickups
Death cab for cutie
Kasabian


i think i need to stop right here but really check them out, mel.

olga

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!