Feeling sorry for myself.
01 June 2011
I've been trying to get back into shape after being fairly sedentary for most of the winter. Apart from walking the dog and being on my feet at work, I haven't done much in the way of exercise, and have put on some unwanted pounds, mostly in the gut area, which is mucho non attractive. And with warmer weather comes bathing suits, we all know how that is. I've been working on getting rid of the spare tire by giving up soft drinks and snacking at night... it seems to be working, little by little.
At the urging of a friend, I decided to try Zumba, which at first I didn't like much, but it grew on me. Before last night,I hadn't been for a few weeks b/c of other commitments, and was anxious to get back to it. So last night, in the midst of sweating, lunging and spinning, I felt and heard something POP, somewhere in the back of my leg. I don't even remember what I was doing, but the shooting pain was excruciating. I immediately sat out the rest of the class and iced where it hurt, although I can't really pinpoint where exactly it hurts- kind of weird. Anyway, I was able to drive myself home, ( I drive a standard) and could walk on my tiptoe, but I can't put any pressure on my leg at all. Today, it is much worse, probably b/c the muscle has cramped up. I just got off the phone with the Orthopaedist, and I feel very lucky that I will be able to get in to see him tomorrow... the secretary says it sounds like I've just pulled/strained something really badly, and I doesn't think I need xrays. I am hoping and praying that I don't have a torn ligament or worse.
Right now, hubby is out getting me crutches b/c it is killer to put any pressure on my leg, and let me tell you, I feel like an invalid, not being able to get around or go up and down the stairs in my house. I'm angry with myself, because I knew my leg wasn't stable after hurting it last week doing The Shred. I overdid it one day with lunges and weights, and could barely walk the next day, but I figured it was normal, seeing as I was so out of shape. So there's a good lesson for anyone who takes on a new exercise routine... contrary to what they tell you, DO NOT push yourself so hard that you incapacitate yourself!!!
Wish me luck for tomorrow...
5 comments:
Oh girl. You poor thing. DOCTOR! You need one. I'm proud of you working out! I need to do that. But not Zumba. ;) Love you. Miss you!
oh no!!!! see, this is why i just don't work out. ;) ;) (kidding, but i think i'd probably fall over and break something trying to do zumba...i'm such a klutz!)
Em is right- exercising is dangerous ;) I hope you feel better soon :)
oh mel, that sucks. i'd be so discouraged too. i came close a couple times at the beginning of the shred with overdoing it too.
i hope it is just a pulled muscle and it heals quickly for you. hugs!
That's so frustrating. I did zumba ONCE and threw my neck out! I don't know how good it is? So now I do yoga and power yoga which helped me lose a few kgs but more importantly, feel healthier, stronger and have more energy. Good luck tomorrow. BTW I really like your Blog and your pages.
Post a Comment