peace cranes
22 March 2011
If you're wondering what you can contribute to help Japan after the horror of the tsunami and earthquake, here's a project that I think is amazingly uplifting, and something you can definitely do with your children to try and explain the enormity and severity of this heartwrenching disaster.
I took this photo last fall after receiving this paper crane from a dear Flickr friend, but I'm definitely going to make a few of my own tonight with my boys and send them in. I think this is very worthwhile cause, and something we can all contribute to. And yeah, I'm sure that many of you have a lot of pretty paper sitting around that would be perfect for this. ;)
Here is a link ( the PDF they mentioned won't open for me) to an animated tutorial of how to fold Origami cranes:
http://www.origami.org.uk/
What else to do if you're all thumbs at folding paper? A Flickr contact of mine, Ali, is in the process of setting up a shop called 'One Thousand Wishes', where you will be able to purchase handmade Japanese papers, fabrics & washi tape, as well donated artwork and photography. 100% of the proceeds raised will go to the
Canadian Red Cross Earthquake and Tsunami relief fund. Please consider making a small donation, purchasing an item, or donating something pretty that you've made. You can read more about it here on her blog:
http://thedottedline.typepad.com/the_dotted_line/

6 comments:
My 8 year old was horrified by what he saw on the newscasts (we had to change the channel until he left the room), and he loves to fold origami... I will show this to him. :)
(Your photo is beautiful, btw. You have a great eye for composition and such great skill with your camera.)
This is such a beautiful idea. Going to make a few and add them to the list.
BTW, I missed the bog hop? :(
melanie,
thank you so much for posting about this, what a wonderful thing this company is doing to aid the relief efforts in japan! last week, i set up the 'one thousand wishes :: one thousand dollars' project - an online pop-up shop that will be selling an array of beautiful japanese fabrics, papers and washi tapes as well as a selection of handmade items contributed by the online art + craft community. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the canadian red cross earthquake and tsunami relief fund. the second aim for this project is to send a message of hope, peace, love and recovery to those affected by this crisis. one thousand wishes in the form of one thousand paper cranes. for every $5 spent in the pop-up shop, a paper crane will be made. when one thousand paper cranes have been folded, the strands will be assembled to create a beautiful wall-hanging, full of warm wishes and healing thoughts from all over the world, to the people of japan. the wall-hanging will be sent to a japan. each person that contributes to the project, whether by making a purchase, donating an item or volunteering their time, will also receive a strand of paper cranes, a heart-felt wish from me to them. the website is :: www.onethousandwishes.com
i had wanted to send you an email about this a couple of days ago, but couldn't find a link to your address - i remember seeing this crane on your flickr stream, so when i started this project i was reminded of this lovely photo.
i just made 100 cranes this morning, so i will photograph some of them and send them on to this project :)
Ali, thank you so much for commenting and linking to your site. I'm going to edit my post right now and add your info here.
Also, if there are any photos of mine that you think would be worthy of donation, please let me know. Thank you!! xo
Your picture is absolutely OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! How is it possible to obtain such results with a camera, I will never know...
Hi Melanie. This has nothing to do with your post but I wanted to tell you that I scraplifted your LO on the AC blog a few weeks ago. Here is my version: http://wickysticket.blogspot.com/2011/05/believe.html
Your LOs are so beautiful.
Best regards,
Diana
Post a Comment