How not to organize. Or, How to not organize.
12 May 2009

I got this in the mail today. My issue of RS arriving always makes for a happy day- I just wish I had time to read it right now. But the cover copy caught my eye immediately, and I was freakishly motivated (I'm feeling a public shaming may do the trick here) to take a photo of what my scrap space looks like at the present moment. I give you my dining room, aka scrap table:
( amd I purposely posted these so you can't make them bigger, ha.)
And the floor of said dining room:
Keep in mind this is just one part of the room, even though it's small. There are piles and mounds of stuff EVERYWHERE. That pretty green bag full of stuff is from the NSD crop I worked at 2 weekends ago, and I haven't even looked inside it.
Don't judge me too hard ok? (Or do, maybe it will anger me into doing something?! LOL) I've been working every possible spare minute I have on that yearbook, and have seriously neglected any attempt at clean up from the last time I scrapped a page, which was approximately a week or so ago, for the American Crafts blog this month. Once it gets to this stage, I just close the door, and we eat in the kitchen until the next cleaning bonanza. Which may be a while. I'm thinking about a month, or until I hand off that book to the printer. (At which time, I will probably spend 3 days in bed, trying to catch up on the many lost hours of sleep.)
In my fantasies, my scrap area looks like my scrap pages ( ie, clean, uncluttered, and lotsa white space- no dust bunnies or ink spots) but I just can't seem to get a handle on it. EVER. It's a vicious circle of cleaning and messing up, and soemtimes it just makes me want to throw it all away and be gone with it once and for all. Dramatic, I know. But true.
PS- Barb, this post is for you. I owed you one from way back, remember? ;p And see, I wasn't exaggerating!
Now, do you think I should even bother reading that RS article, or just call in the professionals? Any Stacey & Clintons of the scrap world out there? ;p
14 comments:
I don't think your on your own with the whole dilemma, we clean and organise, we scrap, we make mess, we begin all over again, it's a never ending cycle.Every time I get everything in it's place I am determined it will stay that way but then I use it, get caught up in the creative process and find crap everywhere at the end. Still it could be worse, we could have it all tidy and never get to play and there is no fun in that.
cheers,
Sue.
not so shocking, though for once my space doesn't look like that, mostly because I haven't been doing anything!
Question - how DO you get your photos bigger when you click on them? I haven't ever been able to work out HOW? :-)
I love your mess. I wish I could com over and help you do it, while you sit and enjoy a cup of tea! I love organising other peoples messes - not my own so much. And I love those IKEA expedit shelves/bookcase in the background ;
I have to admit, I rarely create anything without making a mess. I have a small space so things are on the floor, all over the desk. . . I do have a good storage system so it cleans up pretty quickly which is good since my computer is here and when the floor is covered it's hard to get into the tiny room. Your photos look oh, so familiar.
Moi c'est mon salon qui ressemble à ça de temps en temps....Tes photos me rassurent,JE NE SUIS PAS LA SEULE!!!
Aaaaah Mel, thanks for posting your pictures. I feel better already! lol. My scrap space is starting to go downhill again, even after the last big clean I did. I have a mess of nsbr stuff that's on my To Do pile (mostly forms to fill out for summer camp and next year's daycare registration). *sigh*
Good luck with your yearbook. And let this be a lesson to you. Learn to say "no!" I'm practicing hard on that front too. :P
Hey Mel ... your table and diningroom looked (and still looks) like mine when I was doing the yearbook for the school. Not to make you feel bad, but I didn`t clear the table until about 6 months later so we ended up eating on the kitchen table :).
(all kidding aside on the way everything looks ...) Your dining/scrap area actually looks wonderful (mine looked like a hurricane hit it!). As always, you produce such wonderful creations/layouts from that area ....
Grace.
Thank you for posting those pics - now I don't feel so alone... :P
I love your huge pile o' project on your table! As long as you're able to create those fabulous pages you create, stop worrying about your mess. Let yourself be your creative lovely self, make a mess, then rest for a few days. You'll be refreshed by a finished project and be able to clean and organize and prepare for another outstanding project.
In the meantime, flip through your new RS and smile and nod and dream of your organized space in the future.
your space looks exacly like mine...
and i feel the same way too sometimes of just getting rid of everything, but then i know i'll miss it too much.:)
omg, i don't believe such a clean and simple girl has a mess like this going on! ;) good luck with the yearbook and the cleanup/organization project!!! :)
You are too cute! Alas, our spaces can't look our pages. LOL! But if you think about it, it takes us about two days to do our simple pages? About the same time it takes to clean our rooms. See? It's all good. Give yourself a break. These yearbooks are time chompers. Ack. Hugs!
(BTW, I think Wendy Smedley should do a Clean House kind of thing, where she goes and surprises a crafter and redoes their craft room. I'm volunteering to be test subject #1.)
my space looks worse - no joke. i have stuff everywhere and then dd got into some stuff and i haven't taken the time to clean it up. don't feel bad at all.
Doesn't look to bad to me, especially if you're still getting pages done. I scrap in the dining room, but I have to clean up each time as we do eat in there 2x a day. :P Thank God for my armoire - I can just shove stuff in and close the doors.
Post a Comment