Confession time
01 April 2010
Don't fall off your chairs... but yes, I'm actually posting on the blog twice in one week.Shocking, isn't it!
I've had many people asking me these past months what the hell is happening with my blog, and why don't I post layouts anymore? ( Helen from Toronto, if you're reading this, you have to leave me a comment, got it? :D) I'm totally assuming here that someone is actually still reading here amongst the tumbleweeds, lol..
So here's my confession.
A while back, in January or so, I thought long and hard about shutting down this blog. I was exhausted from the holidays, feeling burnt out, and at the same time, feeling a huge sense of excitement about starting the 365 project on Flickr. I wasn't at all into blogging, mainly because I had so much other stuff going on in my life, and couldn't find any left over energy to post. I had nothing to say. Call it the winter blahs, I don't know. But what I really wanted to say was that I was becoming a little bit jaded about the whole scrapbooking world in general. If I can be completely honest here (and I will be, because it's my blog, and I can say what I want, lol) all the tweeting, status updates, horn tooting, and Facebook fan pages really got under my skin, and I decided to distance myself from it all for a while, and just do what was making me feel good, which was taking photos. I'm a fairly humble person, and I don't feel comfortable crowing about everything I do. It's just the way I am. So I stopped reading blogs all together, ( even Cathy Z got the boot) kicked my Facebook habit, did some mental housecleaning, and pared down my online consumption/web surfing to a reasonable amount of time /day.
With the exception of Flickr, which I became addicted to in about 5 minutes after starting the 365. Ha.
Uh, yeah...
Anyway, I took a brief, but much needed break from scrapbooking & blogging, and now that spring is here, and the birds are singing, I actually feel like I want to do both again.
(That statement elicited a huge sigh of relief from the hubby, who was freaking out over the thought that all the paper I've amassed over the past 5 years would eventually have to be used as fire starter for our charcoal BBQ.)
So to ease back into it, here's a page I did this week that combines my 2 loves... scrapbooking and photography. It's sort of a lift of an old page I did a while back, and while there is nothing innovative or trendy about it, I really like it. It's simple, it's who I am, and it makes me very happy to be able to combine the 2.
As always, this page was done mostly with my one true product love, American Crafts. My deep affection for them is undying. :) That cool negative ribbon is from Tim Holtz... I knew I'd need that.
Have a great Thursday... I'm off in search of some Easter goodies for Sunday. They're calling for 23C+ weather this weekend, how awesome is that?

18 comments:
mel, you do such beeeautiful work, as always
you have a unique style
... and i know what you are saying about the horn tootin' and stuff
-grace
Beautiful page, Mel!
And I would miss you terribly if you left the blogging world so I am glad you came to your senses ;)
As my kids would say, 'same'. About distancing myself and taking a mental break. It did me good, and clearly you too. Getting back to basics is a godo thing. Love the page!
Absolutely Love it! and it's so good to hear you want to scrap and blog again ;-)
Welcome back!
You know how I feel about the whole thing, right? I'm glad you're back... on your own terms and doing what you love most. :)
What a beautiful page. The photos are stunning (I stalk you via flickr) and the design of the page is spectacular. Simple and elegant. So very you.
And yes, I would have to agree with you - American Crafts and you are a match made in heaven. <3
Oh my, I know exactly how you feel. Good for you for taking some time to re-group - I desperately need to do the same.
Love the layout. Love that you are doing 365. Love you. :)
ditto to everything...including your "photo-holic" page :)
great colours...cool simple...
your simple aussie friend...well one of us...you have few ;)
mel,I am so hearing you!
but I am glad you are back,and I LOVE your layout,it totally rocks!
Um...are you me??
Lets just write a post and we can copy it and paste it on both our blogs. We could take turns and it'd be half the work!. We think the same thing....
Wish we were neighbours. Would love to hang and not scrap. I'd scrap if you wanted to, of course, but we'd do better just hangin'. :)
Disons que tu as fait une écouerantite aigü et que tu es maintanant guéri...Tant mieux ç'aurait vraiment été dommage de ne plus voir tes créations !!
I'm here! I'm so glad you're back into scrapbooking! I love your layouts and I also love AC. I need to learn to use my new camera properly, but not having little kids to take pics of, I need inspiration...so I love this layout! It was great seeing you last weekend...if you ever come to Toronto make sure you stop at Stamping Bella for a visit.
Never thought I'd see Tim Holtz products on a Miss Mel layout - but it totally works here!
That is a gorgeous layout, love the camera!!
Love that layout, perfection!
I totally get you. I don't facebook or twitter. And I too have distanced myself from my own blog, posting only completed projects, and trying to only do things that I love. Not sharing much about my life, feeling like that would somehow best (even though everything is totally fine)? Just wanted to say hi soul sister! :)
So glad you are still sharing your beautiful work! You are one of my favorite artists--right up there with Cathy Z. :)
so glad you feel like it's worth keepimg up - i love to read your posts and see your layouts
jill
I was feeling quite the same way. It took me a while to get back into the swing of productivity and writing in a posative way. Must be something in the winter that we want to burrow.
This is why i love macro shots, btw, they work so well clustered together like this.
always your fan, M
Post a Comment